It is once again that time of year where we set goals for ourself so we can feel bad later about not achieving them. That didn’t sound very optimistic, did it? I know. I apologize – but, that’s just how I feel! I’m great at setting goals but accomplishing them, well, that’s a different story. *sigh*
Last year, I set some blogging & bookish goals and I did alright on them. My best one was utilizing the library and not purchasing books. I did still purchase books but I only allowed myself to buy things that a) were not available at either library in town and b) something that had been on my “to buy” list for more than a few months. So, no random picking up books because they looked interesting. Instead, I’ve methodically made my way through a list of books I would like to have. Almost 97% of my reading in 2015 was from library books. So, I’d consider that a success!
book & blogging Goals for 2016
It’s only six, but I’m not stressing about it. ;-)
- Continue reading and exploring what I want to read without getting caught up in only reading “buzz-worthy” books. I will say this, though, the bloggers I follow religiously (Shannon, Leah, Julianne, Shaina and Jen) all read similarly to myself and I know if they’re blogging about a book then I should probably give it my time.
- Review what really moves me and let the rest go. I don’t want to review every single book I read, ever. There’s just too many and because of the increase in my reading my reviewing has dropped considerably. Perhaps I will do more mini reviews and just blurb a little how I felt about each title.
- Forget the ARCs. You read that right. This past year I think I requested maybe two ARCs, total. I know the little notes on our review policy pages all say that just because we receive a book doesn’t mean we will review it but… I always feel obligated to. Not anymore. This year I’m focusing on what I already have.
- Read my own damn books. I have two book cases of books that I’ve not read yet. I keep accumulating more! So, this year, I am going to concentrate on reading my own damn books.
- Stress less about when I blog. It’s eaten me up this year when I’ve not been posting regularly and readership is down but hey – I’m living my life and I’m not tied to the computer. So, it is what it is. This year, I’m not going to allow myself to stress out about it.
- Engage more with others. Whether it be with fellow bloggers (*waves*) or with other book lovers (*waves*) I want to connect more, learn more about who is reading my blog, and develop or kindle new friendships.
Here’s some mottos I’ve come up with for the year:
Read thoroughly. Buy occasionally. Review selectively.
Don’t frown; Put it down. (In regards to DNF-ing a book.)